Christmas Around the World

CLICK HERE FOR THE SKYPE LESSON

To try and connect some of the classes in our school, I want to use the stimulus that engages every child and most adults… Christmas! The idea is simple, classes from around the world link up via Skype and other media to share their experiences of Christmas covering everything from local and national traditions, school celebrations, weather, food and festivities. The project has the potential to cover ICT, history, geography, Literacy and PSHCE skills while giving the children a unique experience of learning about the lives of others from around the world.

It would be a great exercise for children to think carefully about questions, present their traditions in different and creative ways. I am more than happy to welcome as many schools as possible however to really reach the potential of the idea, schools should really try to link with other schools from a different country.

We have also linked this project with the Global Classroom Project and The Frugal Teacher who has started a similar project here. She has used a VoiceThread conversation:  Teachers and students will create new slides on the Voicethread by uploading pictures, videos, and voice recordings. Students will also ask questions and make comments slides to generate conversation.

Below is a running list of participating schools with contact details for teachers to then contact each other and arrange a suitable time to link with each other and also the VoiceThread conversation.

I hope this will provide a enriching learning experience and I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PLEASE SIGN UP BY ADDING YOUR DETAILS AND CLICKING HERE

14 thoughts on “Christmas Around the World

1. Simply wish to say your article is as astounding. The clarity on your put up is just nice and that i can assume you are a professional in this subject. Well along with your permission allow me to seize your RSS feed to stay up to date with coming near near post. Thanks a million and please continue the enjoyable work.

2. Hi all,
    we are a small rural school in East Sussex. I would like to give my children the opportunity to talk to other children about Christmas, how they celebrate and what it means to them. I teach year 4/5 and 6 – 7-11 year olds.
    Look forward to hearing from you

• I teach 4th gr in IA and we are always willing to skype, I think there is about a 6hr. difference. We are studying Europe and it would be great for us to share Christmas traditions.

3. We are a rural school and are looking to connect with other schools about culture during the after school program. I would love to connect at some point. THANKS!

4. Hello! We are ready to SKype for the Christmas Around The World project! We are excited to be part of this project. We are a first grade classroom from Wisconsin. I teach 2 first grades so there are many of us to Skype with.

5. I teach computer to 1st through 6th grade in Daphne, AL and would love to participate. I have never used Skype nor Voicethread but I am wanting to become more of a 21st century educator. I would love to join this but to be honest am a little nervous and may need some help. Let me know what I need to do, I have not signed up yet I will do that today

6. I am a Computer/Technology teacher in Jacksonville, Florida. My students k-6 would love to participate in this project.

7. Hello! I am beginning a unit on Holidays around the world. I would love for my students to be able to skype with classes from other counties to learn about their holidays and traditions!

8. I’m excited to get involved with this project and hope to meet other classes around the world!

9. Hello every one!
    I’m Melahrini a primary school teacher from north Greece.I’m very glad to be part of your beautiful company.
    Me and my pupils are looking forward to conected with you and share Christmas traditions of our countries.We can learn so many things
    See you
    Melahrini

10. Hi. We’d like to invite you to share your project on the Global Classroom Project (http://globalclassroom2012-13.wikispaces.com).

I know Louise has been in touch, but I think you’d be able to access a significant international audience through our community – which exists to support people like you. 🙂

Please email me if you have any questions – I think you might have joined the wiki, I am not sure. If you have, please feel free to add 🙂