5B become iPad game developers!

We have been using the iPads to help develop our Literacy, ICT and Art skills with a exciting project.

To link with Year 5’s topic of “Kensuke’s Kingdom,” children in class 5B have been making their own iPad game. They used the app “Sketch Nation Studio,” to do this. A easy app for children to use where they can even photograph their own drawings and use them in their games.

The first step was to decide what are games would be about, we decided that we would focus on either the point where Michael falls of the boat and has to survive underwater or where he has found himself on the island and needs to escape some of the dangers on the island.

Once we had decided on our game we then went to drawing our character of ‘Michael,’ and enemies he may encounter. Here are some examples:

Most of our other objects such as; power ups, backgrounds and platforms were drawn on the in-app drawing tool. There were some real complications scanning our hand drawn pictures in with very few coming through well despite us following the instructions carefully.

Once all the parts were ready, the children set the game settings, SFX and game music. Once everything was ready the children then had time to play on their games and others in the class.

Once all the children had played on their games, we had to present them to the class explaining what the game is about, the different parts and the design. Here are some of the children explaining their game:

Kensuke’s Kingdom game explanations from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

We also made a trailer/advert to go with our games you can read about it here.

4 thoughts on “5B become iPad game developers!

1. Thank you for sharing. This is brilliant. Kids creating is 21st Century Learning at the highest order of Blooms. I will share this with my School District.

2. WOW. I can’t wait to try this with my own kids and to share it with other educators. So cool. Thanks for sharing!