Creating stunning presentations of our Performance Poem!

On Thursday the whole school will compete in our annual performance poetry competition. Now in its second year, each class learn and perform a performance poem with the most creative and entertaining class taking the prize. The competition is a great way to celebrate some amazing poetry and give the children the chance to perform in front of the whole school.

Today in Year 4, Mrs Mitchell’s group made their own presentations of their poem “Hand on the Bridge,” by Michael Rosen. The children used the app Haiku Deck to create some powerful and beautiful presentations of the poem.  This simple yet very effective app allows you to create presentations by adding text and images but purposefully focuses on the images. It searches its database of pictures using keywords from the text you have typed. There are different themes and layouts and thousands of pictures to choose from. This was what I really wanted the children to focus on, using the pictures to really demonstrate their understanding of the poem and the results were amazing. The children were really proud of their finished efforts. It helped them learn their poem ready for Thursday but also reflect on the message of the poem. The power of an image can really be incredible and the simple layout of this app focuses on this. Here are some of the efforts:

Created with Haiku Deck, the free presentation app for iPad

Click here for Thea’s poem
Click here for Ciaran’s Poem
Click here for Jaime’s Poem
Click here for Chloe’s Poem
Click here for Paige’s Poem

Click here for Ben’s Poem
Click here for George’s Poem
Click here for Anna’s Poem
Click here for Harley’s Poem
Click here for Brooke’s Poem
Click here for Paige’s Poem
Click here for Aimee’s Poem
Click here for Alex’s Poem
Click here for Joe’s Poem
Click here for Haroon’s Poem
Click here for Millie’s Poem
Click here for Harry’s Poem
Click here for Dylan’s Poem
Click here for Tom G’s Poem
Click here for Ebony’s Poem
Click here for Tom’s Poem
Click here for Nicholas’ Poem
Click here for Kieran’s Poem

Please leave a comment and let us know what you thought of our presentations.

4 thoughts on “Creating stunning presentations of our Performance Poem!

1. I read as many as I could , and they were absolutely brilliant

2. Hi Mrs Mitchell’s Year 4 class
    What amazing Haiku poems you have written! Your performance would have been hugely valued by all who saw it! The app you have chosen to present them with looks very useful. My school are doing a “poetry week” early next term and I know 2 teachers have already looked at your work, in order to plan for the work our children do. I am sure that they will be sharing your amazing poetry with the kids in their classes very soon!
    Thanks for sharing your learning – you may like to check out our school website some time… http://www.allteams.co.nz/vardon-school/
    All our classes have their own blogs, as do many individuals too.

Happy Learning!
    Mrs Paton

3. Super use of the Haiku app, I have just downloaded it and look forward to using it. Thanks for sharing

4. Super use of the Haiku app, I have just downloaded it and look forward to using it. Thanks for sharing.