Super Alan Peat Sentence Adverts!

Year 5 today combined the theme from Children’s book week; heroes and heroines,  some ICT skills, their knowledge of different sentence types and their ability to persuade others to learn about the super sentences they use in class.

The children have a focus ‘sentence of the week.’ These sentences are from the  fantastic Alan Peat book “Writing Exciting Sentences,” in the two years since investing in the excellent resources by Alan we have seen a massive improvement in the children’s ability to write and express themselves using some really interesting and varied sentences. The level of writing has dramatically improved and we cannot praise the ideas Alan provides for teaching Literacy.

The children’s ability to improve their writing by using some of these ideas have been extraordinary and the children feel so confident sharing their knowledge, so we put this to the test.

I set the children the challenge, can you persuade other children to incorporate these exciting sentences into their writing?

We first looked at adverts and how these help persuade people to believe or buy something. We looked at some of the features and noticed a couple include superhero type characters – Mr Muscle, Juan sheet does plenty for example. With it being Children’s book week and the theme this year being heroes we decided to adopt this strategy. We also needed to include in our adverts an explanation about how to write these sentences. Working in groups the children planned their adverts ready to film.

I took the risk of letting the groups find a quiet place around school to film, at first I was unsure as to whether the children would: a) stay focused, b) not disturb other classes and c) not argue and cause an accident with the iPads. My fears were put to rest as all the children were so engaged and focused they just wanted to get their videos finished.

What I found this exercise did really well was that it gave the children a chance to showcase their understanding of these sentence types, could they clearly explain how to use and put one together? I was really pleased with the children’s responses.

Once the children had finished all their filming using the camera app, we used iMovie to edit our films and put the different clips together, some were able to add credits however we were tight for time so not all

were able to. I also quickly introduced the “Action Movie FX” app. A really useful app to spark children’s imaginations by adding movie style FX onto a normal video. Children were able to blow up their boring sentences before making it super! This was a real ‘wow’ factor to the videos, the children absolutely loved seeing their work up in flames before making it better.

I hope you enjoy our efforts and are persuaded to include some of these sentences in your writing! (Apologies about the American accents! I don’t know why the class are obsessed with speaking like our friends across the pond when it comes to Drama)

5B Super Sentences adverts from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

5A Super Sentences adverts from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

2 thoughts on “Super Alan Peat Sentence Adverts!

1. Great blog! I really enjoyed reading this and glad that you have found the sentences useful. I’ve been in Spain this week so just had time to write properly. I crossed the only desert in Europe….see if you can find it on the Internet! Ace writing…keep it up! Alan

2. Very well put across 5A and 5B, I thoroughly enjoyed The Super Sentence Adverts
    Thanks
    Sue