Year 5 Literacy Football Project part 3

For anyone who hasn’t been following our journey using football and iPads to see how it impacts on our Literacy so far here is lesson 1 and lesson 2. All the information about the project and previous activities are explained in these links.

This week came the exciting part: The commentary. After last week’s note taking lesson the children couldn’t wait to start flexing their commentary skills using the iPads.

First step we had to build our own steps for success ladder. To do this I used the app Socrative. This is a smart student response system that empowers teachers to engage their classrooms through a series of educational exercises. I used an open ended question where children discussed with their partners what features and skills are needed to be a successful commentator and then type them on their iPad. After sharing their ideas we came up with our own steps for success ladder:

Once the children knew what they had to include we used the app Pinnacle Studio to record their commentary. This is a great video editing app, which we got when it was free however is around £8.99 now. It seems to have a lot more options than iMovie.

The most important reason I chose this app rather than iMovie was that Pinnacle Studio allows you to import videos from the Videos app rather than just the camera roll. I had obtained highlights of recent Premier League games and uploaded them onto every iPad through the video app (pictured.) The children could then import the video onto the storyboard, mute the audio and then use the narrating button to record themselves commentating over the video.

It was an excellent speaking and listening exercise which had all the children engaged despite some not being the most avid football fans. Nearly all the children finished commentating on all the match however I couldn’t upload every single one instead I have put together snippets from most of the groups into a Man Utd video and Man City video per class. I hope you enjoy watching these as much as I have putting them together, it was great hearing all the children commentate, including some who normally are very shy and quiet. It really gave everyone a chance to show some different yet just as important literacy skills.

Class 5B commentate on Man City vs Spurs from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

Class 5A commentate on Man City vs Spurs from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

Class 5A commentate on Man United vs Aston Villa from Mr L Parkinson on Vimeo.

Class 5B commentate on Man United vs Aston Villa from Mr L Parkinson on Vimeo.