Fruit Ninja Multiplication

Year 5 Learning Objective: Refine and use efficient methods to multiply TU x TU.

Today, Year 5 used one of their favourite games to help them practise their methods for multiplying 2 digit numbers by 2 digit numbers.

We used the grid method demonstrated below:

We looked at a couple of examples as a class making sure that children knew the right way to multiply multiples of 10 and add all their numbers together. Once the children had all had a go on their whiteboards it was time to practise in a more interesting way.

To engage all the children I have found using some of the children’s favourite iPad game works wonders. Having used Angry Birds and Temple Run with some classes, Fruit Ninja was another popular game the children love playing which I wanted to use in Numeracy.

The aim of the game is simple, swipe your finger to slice the fruit and score points. What makes this game great is that it has a multiplayer option so two children can play each other trying to score the most points in 30 seconds. After the game is over – children multiply the scores together.

2013-02-11 19.32.06

Straight away the children were completely hooked, having the chance to play a game to generate their numbers had them focused so much more than a textbook. The competitive boys were trying to get their calculations solved quickly to then replay and beat their friends. Also I made sure that the children checked their answer with their partner in case any miscalculations were made.

After a couple of games, the children could then move around the classroom to play someone else. I was so impressed by how much the children enjoyed the lesson, they were consolidating their understanding of the grid method while competing against friends. The fact that this game works with scores, similar to many iPad games means that it can be used to generate numbers to be used in so many different ways. I have planned to used the app with other year groups this week so please stay tuned to see what other ways we use it to help us.