Using the iPads to get children to explain their understanding

In Numeracy today we decided to show our understanding using the column method for addition by demonstrating it with the app “Explain Everything.” A very useful presentation tool that has a built in recorder which will record what you type with what you say. Here is a quick demonstration of the app:

We decided to try and make a video to show younger children in the school how to use the column method for addition. We recognised that we would have to be clear and thorough to make sure younger children understood every step clearly.

It was a really interesting activity to see how well the children could verbalise their understanding, did they know why we carried to the next column or was it just “that’s what we have been told!” It certainly made me as a teacher aware of the children’s understanding as to how the method works. I was quite confident in all the children’s ability to use the method but having them demonstrate it verbally as well as written was a very valuable exercise. Here were some examples:

Using Explain Everything to demonstrate our understanding of the column method for addition. from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

One thought on “Using the iPads to get children to explain their understanding

1. This is my very first time i visit here. I found a multitude of entertaining stuff with your blog, especially it has the discussion. From the a lot of comments on your own posts, I guess My business is not alone having the whole set of enjoyment in this case! Keep up the excellent work.