Wonder By R.J Palacio and Miss Gardners September Precept

In Class 6A, we have been reading Wonder by R.J Palacio. It really is a good read. The blurb is ‘My name is August. I wont describe what I look like. Whatever your thinking, its probably worse.’ This book is about a deformed boy called August, who is 10. His face is described as a fire tragedy looking face. It is a really good read and if I had to rate it out of 10 I would say nine and a half. This is an excellent book but I would not advise under 8s to read it. (Sorry Year 3!) Some of its reviews from newspapers and magazines are on the back of the book. Here are two examples: ‘Has the power to move hearts and change minds’ and ‘It wreaks emotional havoc.’ Miss Gardner did an assembly about it and it was really fun for the other year groups to hear what we were hearing before them. Mr Browne, their English teacher, has a precept every month and Septembers precept was ‘When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind.’ I think this means that you don’t always have to be right and if you always are right then sometimes you are mean. For example if you have an argument with your brother/sister and your trying to point out things that are true about them and your trying to be right then your wrong, because your shouting mean stuff about people and it doesn’t need to be said. Then when you apologize your being kind, because your saying I am sorry for what I have done so you have to think twice before you say something!’ This is a really good lesson to learn.