Choral Poetry Competition 2014

Recently, the whole of Davyhulme Primary took part in the 3rd annual Choral Poetry competition. Each class, from Reception to Year 6, had to learn and perform a poem as a whole class and be as creative and interesting in the way they perform it. Arrangements, props and use of voice, body and volume were all factors when it came to judge the competitions.

Both the KS1 and KS2 competitions were incredible! The standard of performance from every class was fantastic!

As the new curriculum starts in September, there has never been such a big focus on poetry, so it is nice to know that as a school we massively value poetry through competitions like this!

Here are some of the performances, unfortunately due to the iPad running out of storage some poems weren’t recorded and others are cut short but we did try our best –

4 thoughts on “Choral Poetry Competition 2014

1. How lovely to hear the children reading my Mums poem. And they read it really, really well. Well done, everyone!

2. Well! Imagine my surprise and delight, when I arrived home last night from a visit to the theatre, to find a tweet from Davyhulme Primary School! What an honour to have one of my poems used in your Choral Poetry Competition. I watched all the performances and it was a real treat – a treat from a tweet! I know how much hard work goes into these performances from both children and staff so well done to you all. But ( and you can use ‘but’ to start a sentence!), I was so pleased with your performance of my poem Class 5A You performed it as I wrote it to be performed – with a bit of physical theatre thrown in. Well done to all of you. I hope you all have a lovely Summer break and if you should need any other poems from me, please let me know.
    With all best wishes,
    Campbell Perry

3. Well! Imagine my surprise and delight, when arriving home last night from a visit to the theatre, to find a tweet from Davyhulme Primary School! What an honour to have one of my poems used in your Choral Poetry Competition. I watched all the performances and it was a real treat – a treat from a tweet! I know how much hard work goes into these performances from both children and staff so well done to you all. But ( and you can use ‘but’ to start a sentence!), I was so pleased with your performance of my poem. You performed it as I wrote it to be performed

4. Hello Class 5B!!
    I feel very honoured that you selected one of my poems to perform for your incredible Choral Poetry competition. Your performance was wonderful, you all made the poem sound so professional and fun. I especially liked the way you used props and how different children performed different parts of the poem.
    I have shown this video to my children and they think its the best choral poem they have ever seen!!! Keep up the good work. If you ever need any poems in the future do please get in touch and I’ll send you some,
    Kind Regards
    Ian Bland
    http://www.ianbland.com