Year 6 make their own grammar games!

As children prepare for their SATS and the new SPAG test (spelling, punctuation and grammar) we have been trying to approach learning our spelling, punctuation and grammar in a more creative and enjoyable way. Year 6 became the teachers this week by making their own SPAG quizzes!

Using the Mantle of the Expert approach giving the children the responsibility of being the teacher had the children completely focused. The ‘Mantle of the Expert’ is a drama technique that was developed and refined by Dorothy Heathcote. It is based on the belief that children learn best if they have a relationship to the subject matter being covered that is more akin to that of an expert than a pupil.

Children used the app Tiny Tap to make their games. Tiny Tap is a free app that allows children to use photos to generate questions. They record themselves reading a question and then circle the part of the picture that is the answer. Within the app, you can import pictures from the camera roll, use the camera, use the web or the in built drawing tool. It is such a child friendly app that I have previously used lower down the school in KS1. – See here.

Giving the children the responsibility of using their knowledge of SPAG to produce these games certainly gave a purpose to the task. We discussed the different types of questions we could ask, most of which were very similar to some questions they will be answering in  the test.

Questions such as listing different types of words and asking: which is the noun? adjective? adverb?
Listing different spellings of a word and asking which is the right one.
Writing a sentence with punctuation missing and asking where it needs to go.

It gave me a real indication of where the children are up to with their spelling, punctuation and grammar while providing a more engaging and enjoyable context for them to showcase their understanding. Here is an example of one of the games:

Year 6 make their own SPAG games from Davyhulme Primary School on Vimeo.

To view and play the children’s games follow these steps:

1. Download the tiny tap app from the app store.
  2. Click on this link to see all the available quizzes.
  3. Download the quiz and open in “tiny tap.”
  4. Play and enjoy the game.

Next week, children will get the chance to play each others games.

4 thoughts on “Year 6 make their own grammar games!

1. Hi Davyhulme school,

I’m Nicole, the TinyTap e-learning consultant.

On behalf of the entire team I wanted to thank you for great grammar games you created using the TinyTap app. It’s truly heartwarming to see TinyTap being used like this.

I wanted to tell you about the TinyTap Social Market where you can upload all these great games. We would love to share your great games with members of our community. We know they’ll really enjoy them.

Uploading games means that your content will become part of an online educational resource accessible to parents and teachers worldwide. This will also give you access to this one of a kind resource.

Also, I wanted to know if we could get your permission to use the pictures of your students using TinyTap. We’d like to use them on our blog.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Nicole

2. Hi Davyhulme school,

For more on the TinyTap community: http://www.tinytap.it/site/lp/designers

Nicole

3. Hi year 6 children

I am very impressed with your game I hope you do more games and I am happy that you at using Tiny Tap app it is a good practice and good learning skills for high school and grammar. :p:p

4. Hi Year 6 children

I am very impressed with your games that you made using the Tiny Tap app! By using this app you were practicing very important skills that you needed to know for your tests. I bet you really enjoyed making these games. What did you enjoy the most about using the Tiny Tap app?

I am going to get my Year 3 and 4 children to play your games that are linked on this post and see what they need to practice and learn. Do you have any helpful hints for when I get my class to use the Tiny Tap app to create a game?

Mrs Natusch
    Vardon School
    NZ